Based in Edinburgh or remotely within 2 hours of the UK timezone
With home learning playing a growing part in education for the foreseeable future, you will have a unique opportunity to help teachers and parents adapt to these challenging times.
Teachers’ time and resources are stretched more than ever. We need to develop intuitive, performant and reliable tools that help teachers direct learning and access the data they need. Parents’ have to juggle working from home while helping their children learn. We’re doing all we can to support parents. This an exciting new area for the product, and one where we can iterate quickly and experiment with new features.
The Sumdog application runs on Ruby-on-Rails, using VueJS for lightweight front-end components, and Scala for some of our back-end services. This role offers you the chance to work across all these technologies, solving complex problems to deliver solutions that support teachers, parents and children.
You’ll be part of a talented squad that’s given the space to create their own solutions that meet the needs of our users. We use a fast-paced, quality-focused, agile development approach led by regular user research.
It’s a huge challenge, and we need talented developers to take Sumdog to the next level!
What we’re looking for…
- university degree in computing, science, engineering or mathematics
- good verbal, written & diagrammatic communication (in English)
- natural creativity & problem solving
- experience of working as part of an agile software development team
You’ll also have experience of…
- Ruby (or similar dynamic language e.g. Python) development in a commercial environment (significant experience required)
- full-stack web development
Plus, it’s an advantage if you have experience of…
- software architecture design
- TDD (test driven development)
- AWS & infrastructure-as-code
- database schema design
- Scala / Akka
- modern development tools (Git, Jenkins etc)
It’s also important that you share our desire to help every student reach their full potential.
Why work at Sumdog?
- a competitive salary
- a central Edinburgh office and/or remote working (within 2 hours of UK timezone).
- an exciting and vibrant working environment
- a chance to be part of a fast-moving internet business with some amazing people
- share options
If you work remotely, you’ll have the opportunity to travel to the Edinburgh several times a year. It’s a beautiful city – we’re sure you’ll enjoy it. You’ll also get to visit schools in Edinburgh and see kids’ reaction to what you’ve made!
Above all, this is a great opportunity to make a real difference to children’s lives!
Full time (37.5 hours a week)
Interested in this role?
If you’d like to join us, please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com
We look forward to receiving your application!